Thursday, June 10, 2010

Uno

My kids have taken to playing Uno constantly. It is nice they found something they can all do together and actually have fun doing. Yesterday after the soccer camp got set up my sister, Teresa, saw all the soccer kids in her makeshift clinic, under tents in the soccer field. Then all the kids got a meal of beans and rice and hot dogs and juice.

Today was more of the same. We woke up early, ate a bizarre breakfast of some creamy corn meal stuff and started sorting meds. I luckily was able take a nap as I simply couldn't sleep last night. Then we all headed to the land to set up for the soccer camp. I found myself sitting in the shade taking care of Kate and Nora most of the morning with Luke and Eloise off in the woods building forts, and Chris attempting to keep the high schoolers in line. For the most part the high schoolers are doing well - you can read posts about their trip at minnehahatohaiti.blogspot.com

My kids were getting hot and board so I left Nora with Chris and headed to the beach with my three. The beach was really fun. There wasn't sand, just little pebbles and the older two really enjoyed sitting in the really shallow water and being crashed about by the waves. Kate loved the waves but was scared of them as well. So I spent my time holding her. It was so cool and refreshing. I was then crowded by about 4 young Haitian boys interested in watching me change. Awkward but whatever. Then carried my salty, stinky, rocky crew back up to the soccer camp. A friend of mine gave me a ride back to the guest house with my kids and Nora as we were all hot and sticky and tired. Seems like I've been single parenting quite a bit these past few days but it will be different once the soccer camp is over.

Today I was sitting under a tarp in the shade drinking bottled water like a fiend. The kids playing soccer get one small water bottle after each game they play. Just made me realize that this is how missionaries live day in and day out and how hard that must be. Living with such amenities amongst such poverty. But it wasn't wrong for me to stay hydrated and shaded, and it wasn't wrong for the soccer camp coordinators to limit water distribution. Just a weird feeling in general.

Tomorrow Chris and I will be heading to Pinchanet, a large camp for internally displaced persons here in Jacmel. Just Chris and I are going with Gwen, a missionary here. We don't want our kids or the high schoolers exposed to the camp. I am looking forward to seeing this place and dreaming with Gwen about possible ways to make a lasting difference there.

No comments:

Post a Comment