Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday in Christianville

It is Heidi and I am writing on last full day at Christianville. I miss my kids and husband terribly, but I can honestly say I am going to be very sad to leave this place. When I met Gary many years ago he always said his heart is in Sevastopol Ukraine, I never knew what that meant. I know now. I think leaving here will be hard, going back to the comforts of America knowing how kids, babies and families are living here.
With that said, let me tell you of a few of the experiences we have had lately. Two days ago Nicole and I went to participate in something called "popcorn ministry". A local pastor who oversees five churches here, named Pastor Leguire runs this ministry where he goes out to the local villages and as we drove in kids were chasing the truck with bags and bowls in their hands and smiles on their faces that spread from ear to ear, running trying to reach the truck. Once we arrived at the church site he explained to us that all the voodoo temples within several miles of where we were got demolished in the earthquake. However this church remains standing. Not that long ago it was just walls and a contractor came down here, saw the church and raised money to put a floor and roof on the building.
We were outside and over 70 kids ran from all directions as the kids sang different songs, one of which was Papa Abraham. It was so touching and sweet. Then Pastor Leguire and a women from Iowa shared the story of David and Goliath with felt charactors to tell the story. Then they sang a song about David and Goliath. After that they sat in a circle and got popcorn in their bowls and bags. They may have come only for the popcorn but they also got the Word too!
The drive home was extremely heartbreaking for me. Home after home after home all destroyed. Nothing just rubble. People living under jerry rigged tents made with tarp and twine. This country was poor before the earthquake, and now, it is devastating. That was hard for me.
Our group did some major work. We dug a trench that was about 2.5 feet deep and about 60 yards long. We also assisted in building a wall and in sifting sand to make a stucco for the walls.
Yesterday we took a trip to the beach, it was very refreshing. Many of us swam to the island that was about a 5 minute swim. It was a great time, hunting for shells and looking at crabs and other creatures. Then we swam back. On the drive to and from we passed through a market in Carre du Four and it was amazing and awesome.
I love it here! I am excited to see my man and my kids, but I sure hope I will be back here some day, if God wills it.
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment